Tuesday, January 20, 2009

He Shoots...He Scores

The Idaho Falls Eagles Pee Wee Hockey team won the Salmon Invitational. The Eagles had to beat Ogden, Utah in the championship game. The Eagles were down 2-1 with 1:28 remaining. Coach Hott pulled the goalie, and the Eagles tied the game at 2-2 on a goal by Trevor Hott to send the game into overtime. After a scoreless five minute overtime, the Eagle scored three goals in a shootout to win. Parker was one of the three Eagles to score in the shootout to lift the Eagles to their second tournament title of the season. (The Eagles won the Butte, MT. tournament in December).

The championship game was exciting and extremely emotional. Parker, "Scrappy Stenersen" skated his heart out. John was a proud father and I cried after watching Parker take on the the Ogden "giants." It was like watching David take out Goliath. At one point in the game, I found myself yelling at an Ogden hockey player as he had Parker's head pinned into the boards and kneeing him in the back "to quit being a bully". Yes, I was out of control. I was a wild mother bear protecting her cub. Good thing there was ice, boards, and a referee between us.

For this mom, watching the IF hockey boys earn their victory over the Ogden Wildcats and winning the Salmon tournament was like running a marathon in flip flops. Painful, but exhilarating once I crossed the finish line.

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

Hurray for Parker and the rest of the Eagles! Sounds like it was an awesome game, wish we could have been there to help cheer him on.

Hailey Linger said...

I'm surprised the ice, boards and referee still stopped you. If that kid had known who he was messing with, I'm sure he would have thought twice. It was great seeing you guys and see Parker play. He's an amazing athlete.

Chrissijc said...

Congrats to Parker!! Sounds like a great game.
Thought I'd drop by and say Hi!!