Sunday, June 7, 2009

"To me the sole hope of human salvation lies in teaching."---George Bernard Shaw

Nothing makes me happier than to sign yearbooks at the end of the school year, complete my classroom inventory, finalize semester grades, tear down bulletin boards and turn in my keys because then I know summer has officially begun...and boy, do I need a break!

Teaching is one of my passions. But for teaching to remain a passion, I need time to refuel. I need time to energize my soul and brain because teaching is about sharing. I share myself with approximately 130 new students every day for 190 days a year. It is my job to inspire them and model the love of learning. It is also my job to be ready to learn so I can teach those who do not always like being taught. Tom Hanks once said, "You learn more from getting your butt kicked than from getting it kissed."

This is why summer vacation is essential for me. I need time to heal my back side, and gain mental strength so when a new school year starts, I am ready to share my love for learning and dodge kicking students.

4 comments:

Eleanor said...

So true, teachers (much like parents) need time to refuel, and equally important, to reflect on the year left behind and the new one ahead. I loved teaching because every year was a fresh start with bright new little faces who were eager to learn and, at least in First Grade, love up on you! :) Enjoy your well deserved summer break!

Eleanor said...

P.S. I love your new header quote, perfect with your picture of Parker!

Chrissijc said...

I'm sure you need a break I need a break from my kids sometimes too. Hope you have a good summer break. If you get down this way let us know we would love to see one of Parker's games. Jake said you had a game in Hooper a while back. We are 2 minutes from Hooper so we'd love to see you. You are welcome to stop by anytime.

Unknown said...

You have a tough backside. Enjoy your summer. I'm on a co-ed BB team too. Im in Anaheim right now. Going on a short 4 day cruise to Mexico with friends tomorrow.